History

Brief History of Calvary UMC:

The earliest meetings of what would become the congregation of Calvary United Methodist Church were held at the home of John O. Mitzlaff at 530 E. Wildwood Street in Villa Park in 1919.  Approximately 20-30 people gathered for prayer during the week.  Church services were held in Pick's Grove on Sunday afternoons.  Students from the Evangelical Theological Seminary in Naperville provided leadershhip.

In October 1919, the upper floor of Meehan's Hall on S. Villa Avenue was rented for worship services and Sunday School.  The Rev. E.E. Neitz, a seminary student, served this new church.

In 1921, three lots at Highland and Summit Avenues in Villa Park were purchased and a building constructed.  The new Calvary Evangelical Church was dedicated on October 16, 1921 by Bishop S. P. Spreng.  An annex was added for Church School and Boy Scout activities during the early 1930's.  The Rev. Paul A. Lang was the pastor.

1939-40 - Altar, pulpit, baptismal font, decorative windows were added.  The Rev. Paul V. Church was pastor.

1941 - Hammond organ purchased.  The Rev. Harvey W. Marks was pastor.

1944 - The Rev. John Schaeffer became the first full-time pastor of the Calvary congregation.

1946 - The Evangelical Church united with the United Brethren Church, the congregation became Calvary Evangelical United Brethren Church.

October 1951 - Ground was broken for a new building.  The building was dedicated on November 2, 1952.

1956 - Land was purchased for the parsonage.  The building was dedicated in 1957.  The Rev. Samuel Batt was pastor.

1963 - The Rev. Kenneth G. Truckenbrod is appointed Sr. Pastor with the Rev. Earl C. Samstag as associate pastor.

1968 - The Evangelical United Brethren Church merged with the Methodist Church.  The congregation changes its name to Calvary United Methodist Church.

1969 - The new education wing of the building is built and dedicated.

1982 - Members of the former Asbury United Methodist Church were welcomed into the fellowship of Calvary UMC.

1973 - The Rev. Claude Dotson is appointed as Sr. Pastor.

1991 - The Rev. Frederick C. Eisenhut is the appointed pastor.

1995 - The Rev. Charles W. Emery is appointed to serve Calvary UMC.

2008 -  The Rev. Romir R. Esguerra is appointed to CUMC.

October 2011, Calvary UMC celebrated its 90th anniversary.

2012 The Rev. Dr. Charlette J. Hoffmann is the appointed clergy.